On Thursday I went to work up at the doctors surgery as I normally do on a Thursday, only today I discovered a new nurse.
I was going about my own business preparing one of the rooms so we could cut something grotesque off somebody and was wandering back to my office when I was bailed up,
N:"what I do with this mess Suzanne left behind?" referring to an armful of patients folders from the emergency department.
I politely explained that I don't really know as I don't work for the hospital, which she clearly didn't understand, which I came to see by the blank look staring back at me, I told her to put them in the nurses station,
N:"yer ba {but} the docs gotta write sumfing in dere"
I said that's fine, just put them in there and he will fill them out later.
N:"oh yeh ok, wheres dat?" something I found intriguing as I assumed she would know where the nurses station was even if she was new, she was a nurse?
I shook it off, told her where it was and said, "I don't think we have met yet I'm Katie", the light comes on, N:"oh I'm **** "who are you?" (I forgot the name instantly)
I said "I beg your pardon?" slightly confused as I had just introduced myself "I'm Katie"
N:"yeh ba where'd you fit?"
I thought I knew where she was going but thought I'd have a bit of fun with it "I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean"
N:"what'd you do here?"
K: "I work for the doctor"
This went on for a while, because she didn't know what that meant, she asked if I was a nurse, I tried to explain that I work as the receptionist however assist the doctor with excisions, until I knew beyond doubt that it wasn't getting through to her, so I excused myself as I had things to do. I was dumbfounded to say the least.
It amazes me how rude some people can be 80% of new nurses we get, fail to introduce themselves, which I find peculiar, being in a new environment you would think they would at least like to meet who they are going to be working with or could possibly make a new friend out of.
The reason for this long winded introduction to this new nurse comes the very next day, when she comes into our shop with one of the other new nurses in town who I had previously met. She was poking around for about 5 to 10 minutes before coming up to be served by me. I completed the transaction, during which time I had a short conversation with her and I moved on to serve the next nurse when all of a sudden she loudly exclaims...
N: "I seen you aye!"
Now keeping in mind that the written word doesn't translate the accent and tone in which this was said, needless to say George was sitting out of sight in the office and he nearly fell off his chair, I managed to refrain myself to a smirk and a polite "yes" and the other nurse chirped in, and said that I work up at the doctors surgery. They left chatting to each other, George and I just looked at each other before he says "I seen you aye!" We both laughed dumbfounded that she is actually a nurse. How people like this gain employment is beyond me.
No comments:
Post a Comment