Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back it up

I am lucky enough to be amused everyday by the goings on in the street, I certainly don't get to see everything that happens, as the doorway to our shop isn't that big and the front windows are full of displays and covered with a curtain.
One thing that fails to amaze me, is peoples lack of ability to drive, I suppose that's why they live out here and hate the city so much, because they are scared of the traffic, I would be too if I thought that everyone drove the way these people do.
Most of them go flat out like the clappers or they are simply not moving, however I'd say about 90% of them cannot reverse park, I watch them as they back up, slowly, until WHAM the back back tyres hit the curb and they know they have parked the car.
Now I do not profess to be an expert at driving by any stretch of the imagination, but I can reverse park a car.
I have no idea how these people have no concept of the space around them to be able to tell when to pull up. As far as I am aware, I am sure that there is some crazy law that has probably never been enforced, where it is actually illegal to have your tyres pushed into the curb.
We don't always have a lot of cars parked in the street but I'd say, 9 times out of 10 the wheels are jammed up into the gutter, bulging under the weight of the car/truck/ute.
Whats even better is when they reverse straight into a power pole with an almighty CRACK, once it was the cars taillights, the other time was the actual pole, I had to laugh out loud when I saw that one, while making sure I wasn't in the way if it decided to come down, which it didn't, but I half expected a blackout. Luckily for everyone involved it stood strong.

No comments: