Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Made with love

Yesterday George and I decided we would like a hamburger so we thought we would support our tenants and buy one from there. It turns out that on this day, our previous tenant was working for our current one.
Now I had a bit of a run in with her the previous day when she came in to buy her medication, I asked her something about a lay-by which I thought she still had here, not hounding her about it, just seeing if she was aware that it was still here.
Turns out it wasn't hers, a little mis-understanding, I hadn't actually checked the system before asking her, and she had collected her lay-by just the other day from George, well, she went on about it and was getting really concerned, even though I had already said that it was my mistake and had apologised, she kept going on about it, not twice or three times but probably about six times saying that it definitely wasn't hers.
Even George noticed her reaction was completely over the top, I was starting to feel really uncomfortable and tried to get it through to her that I was sorry, I had made a mistake, I didn't mean to upset her. It was borderline paranoia the way she was carrying on.
Our relationship with this woman has been interesting over the time we have been here, it was all gush and stuff when they were our tenants, then when they sold their business and left the premises she became very cold, and even a little withdrawn.
So I was a little anxious when George came back in after ordering our lunch to tell me that she was going to be cooking it, I joked with him that she would spit in my burger, even though she would never do such a thing, I was starting to think that maybe anything could be possible, the family is a little unhinged.
She was nice enough to bring our burgers in to us, I thanked her and passed George his and sat down to eat mine. On the wrappers she had written the type of burger, and underneath that was written "I love you."
I paused looked at George, he looked at his, and we both thought it was a little strange, not what you would expect as part of the order. I have never received a love note on my lunch before and I doubt that I will ever again.

No comments: