Thursday, July 15, 2010

What are they doing over there?

A lady from out on one of the properties came in to the shop today, I didn't recognise her but she knew my name, she went and found what she wanted to buy and as she was leaving she tried to bait me for some gossip.
L:'What are they doing over there?'
Keeping very vague, knowing where she was going with it and also knowing what they were doing over there I said 'over where?'
L: 'Over in that vacant lot over there,' referring to the block of land that George's parents used to own.
Me: 'I don't know'
L: 'I heard that they were building solar panels over there'
Me: 'Oh ok.'
L: 'Why would you want to do that for!'
me: 'Ah, to generate electricity.'
That was after she asked me when they were going to stop setting fire to the town, and that soon it would be a one sided street.
This vacant block has kept everyone in the town entertained for the past week, before the fire, it has been vacant for as long as anyone in town would care to remember and has a well worn 'goat track' through the short grass that grows on it.
It is the 'short' cut for many people in to the main street. So when someone started building a fence on the block on the weekend, hoards (slight exaggeration) of people stopped and stared.
There were a few committee meetings held on the footpath, which I watched with amusement from inside the shop, while the ladies (and men who could pass as such) gossiped and speculated about what was happening.
"What are they building?" A fence. Whoa big news!
When the tenant next door asked me last week what they were doing I said I didn't know, maybe she should go and ask them. Her response 'oh I did, they told me but I didn't understand.'

No comments: